# ELevate Quickstart Guide
Before beginnning, we HIGHLY recommend that you follow system administration best practices and make sure you have backups and/or snapshots of your system before you proceed. It is recommended to do a trial run in a sandbox to verify that migration worked as expected before you attempt to migrate any production system. Please report any issues encountered to the AlmaLinux Bug Tracker (opens new window) and/or AlmaLinux Chat Migration Channel (opens new window)
The ELevate project supports only CentOS repositories. It doesn't support other external repositories. Please, check the ELevate Frequent Issues page for known and frequent issues.
This guide contains steps on how to upgrade CentOS 7 to RHEL8 derivatives such as AlmaLinux, CentOS Stream, Oracle, and Rocky Linux.
You need CentOS 7 system installed to use this guide.
- Fully updated system is required to accomplish the upgrade. So, install the latest CentOS updates first, and reboot.
sudo yum update -y sudo reboot
elevate-releasepackage with the project repo and GPG key.
sudo yum install -y http://repo.almalinux.org/elevate/elevate-release-latest-el7.noarch.rpm
- Install leapp packages and migration data for the OS you want to upgrade. Possible options are:
sudo yum install -y leapp-upgrade leapp-data-almalinux
- Start a preupgrade check. In the meanwhile, the Leapp utility creates a special /var/log/leapp/leapp-report.txt file that contains possible problems and recommended solutions. No rpm packages will be installed at this phase.
Preupgrade check will fail as the default CentOS 7 doesn't meet all requirements for migration.
sudo leapp preupgrade
This summary report will help you get a picture of whether it is possible to continue the upgrade.
In certain configurations, Leapp generates /var/log/leapp/answerfile with true/false questions. Leapp utility requires answers to all these questions in order to proceed with the upgrade.
- The following fixes from the /var/log/leapp/leapp-report.txt file are mandatory, but you can also review the rest of them if needed.
sudo rmmod pata_acpi echo PermitRootLogin yes | sudo tee -a /etc/ssh/sshd_config sudo leapp answer --section remove_pam_pkcs11_module_check.confirm=True
Check the ELevate Frequent Issues page for known and frequent issues and guidance steps to solve them.
- Start an upgrade. You'll be offered to reboot the system after this process is completed.
sudo leapp upgrade sudo reboot
A new entry in GRUB called
ELevate-Upgrade-Initramfswill appear. The system will be automatically booted into it. See how the update process goes in the console.
After reboot, login to the system and check how the migration went. Verify that the current OS is the one you need.
cat /etc/redhat-release cat /etc/os-release rpm -qa | grep centos rpm -qa | grep el7